- Africa-Related Archives at Columbia University Libraries
- Africa through western eyes: manuscript records of traders, travellers, soldiers, missionaries and diplomats in Africa. Parts 1-5. [Microfilm]. (Marlborough : Adam Matthew Publications, 1999-)
See: Guide to Parts 1-2 -and- Parts 3-5
Original manuscripts from the Royal Commonwealth Society Library at Cambridge University Library---including letters, notebooks, and diaries (1863-1963) ; papers of Cameron, Cruikshank, Livingstone, Moffat, Park and Stanley from the National Library of Scotland (19th century) ; and, papers of Sir John Kirk (1832-1922) from the National Library of Scotland.
- African Blue Books, 1821-1953 British Foreign & Commonwealth Office. (East Ardsley, Wakefield : Microform Academic Publishers, 2013).
Part of: "British Online Archives" series.
Covering the period between the mid- nineteenth and the mid-twentieth centuries, these digitized records from the British Colonial and Foreign Offices focus primarily upon economic development; imports, exports, and each territory's balance sheets. Ecclesiastical records, public works and population statistics are also common themes: Basutoland (Lesotho), 1926-1946 ; Gambia, 1828-1945 ; Gold Coast, 1846-1939 ; Kenya, 1901-1946 ; Nigeria, 1862-1945 ; Northern Rhodesia, 1924-1948 ; Nyasaland, 1904-1938 ; Sierra Leone, 1824-1943 ; Tanganyika, 1921-1948 ; Uganda, 1901-1945 ; Zanzibar, 1913-1947.
- Africana Library Catalogs and Archives Online (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries)
- African Activist Archive Project (1950-1994) (African Studies Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan)
Documents, photographs, posters, audio and video files, and an extensive "archives list" for the U.S. "[The project] seeks to preserve for history the record of activities of U.S. organizations and individuals that supported African struggles for freedom and had a significant collective impact on U.S. policy during the period 1950-1994."
- "African Digital Research Repositories: Survey Report." (2016). By Anna de Mutiis and Stephanie Kitchen. Originally published in Africa Bibliography (2015) ; via International African Institute, London, UK ; 18 pages in PDF format
--See also: August 2019 Update
- Agyei, Samuel Kwasi. A guide to the records relating to Ghana in repositories in the United Kingdom excluding the Public Record Office, London. Microfiche. (London: Altair, 1988).
- Annual Departmental Reports Relating to Nigeria and the British Cameroons, 1887-1962 British Foreign & Commonwealth Office. (East Ardsley, Wakefield : Microform Academic Publishers, 2016).
Part of: "British Online Archives" series.
"...a complementary collection to the earlier British Online Archives publication of Nigerian Blue Books. For the purpose of organisation, the departmental reports have been divided between ten headings: Administration, Finance, Judicial and Police, Natural Resources, Social Services, Transport and Public Works, Communications and Post Office Savings, Commerce, Miscellaneous, and reports relating to the British Cameroons."
- Annual Departmental Reports Relating to Uganda. Microfilm. Edited by H. F. Morris. (East Ardsley, Eng., E P Microform, Ltd., 1976) 69 microform reels, 35 mm.
For the pre-independence period, 1906-1961. Contents: Reels 1-8: Group 1, Administration, - Reels 9-18: Group 2, Finance. - Reels 19-21: Group 3, Judicial. - Reels 22-39: Group 4, Natural resources. Reels 40-50: Group 5, Social services - Reels 51-53: Group 6, Transportation and public works. - Reels 54-60: Group 7, Commerce, - Reels 61-64: Group 8, Corporations and boards. Reels 65-69: Group 9, Miscellaneous.
- Anti-Apartheid Movement: Forward to Freedom--The History of the British Anti-Apartheid Movement, 1959-1994 (Bodleian Library, University of Oxford, UK)
A companion web site to the AAM archival collection held by the Bodleian Library at Oxford, featuring excerpts in text, image, and video formats. "...tells the story of the British Anti-Apartheid Movement and its campaigns to support the people of South Africa in their fight against apartheid. The AAM also campaigned for freedom for Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Angola, and against South Africa’s attacks on its neighbours."
- Arabic literature of Africa. Edited by John O. Hunwick and R.S. O'Fahey. (Leiden; New York: E.J. Brill, 1994-)
--See also: Volumes 1-4 online
- Volume 1- The writings of eastern Sudanic Africa to c.1900. Compiled by R.S. O'Fahey, with the assistance of Muhammad Ibrahim Abu Salim [et al.]
- Volume 2- The writings of central Sudanic Africa. Compiled by John O. Hunwick with the assistance of Razaq Abubakre [et al.]
- Volume 3- The writings of the Muslim peoples of northeastern Africa. Compiled by R. S. O’Fahey with the assistance of Hussein Ahmed [et al.]
- Volume 4- The writings of western Sudanic Africa. Compiled by John O. Hunwick.
- Volume 5- The writings of Mauritania and the western Sahara. Compiled by Charles C. Stewart.
- Arabic Manuscripts from West Africa: A Catalog of the Melville J. Herskovits Library Collection, Northwestern University: The Umar Falke Collection, The John Paden Collection, The John Hunwick Collection, and The University of Ghana Collection. (Evanston, Illinois)
- The British Library--Catalog -and- Endangered Archives Program. (London, UK)
--See also: United Kingdom below.
- The Center for Research Libraries : Cooperative Africana Materials Project (CAMP) (Chicago, Illinois)
Selected newspapers (including titles received on current subscriptions); journals; government publications; personal and corporate archives; personal papers of historians, journalists, anthropologists, geographers, and government leaders; writings in English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, German, and other European languages as well as works in Swahili, Xhosa, Zulu, and other African languages. Accessible through interlibrary loan.
Search the Center's online catalog.
- Colonial Law in Africa: African Government Gazettes, 1808-1919 -and- 1920-1945 British Foreign & Commonwealth Office. (East Ardsley, Wakefield : Microform Academic Publishers, 2013).
Part of: "British Online Archives" series
An extensive collection of "digitized" legal records on British colonial African territories, covering the 19th and 20th centuries. These gazettes and legal notices cover the impact of the Napoleonic Wars, the Boer War, the First World War, the abolition of the legal status of slavery, the transfer of Southern Rhodesia from the British South Africa Company to formal colonial rule, the impact of the Treaty of Versailles on Tanzania, and the Second World War in all British African colonies.
- Columbia University Libraries -- Archival Collections (New York)
- Archival Collections Portal
- Burke Theological Library, Special Collections: Missionary Research Library
- Columbia University Archives--Master's Essays & Dissertations
- Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Center for Human Rights Documentation and Research
- C.L.R. James Papers, 1948-1989
- Margaret Busby Papers, 1978-1989
- Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program Archive and Thesis Library
(The program operated from 2001 to 2013. About 33% of the fellows were from Africa and the Middle East. )
See also: IFP Archive finding aid
- Hubert H. Harrison Papers, 1893-1927
- Malcolm X Project Papers, 1960-2008
- Whitney M. Young Papers, 1960-1977 -and- Margaret B. Young Papers, 1921-2010
- Robert A. Hill Papers, 1933-2001
- Max J. & Ruth Clement Bond Papers, 1930-1990
- Amiri Baraka Papers, 1945-2014
- Phoebe Jacobs Papers, 1951-2002
- L.S. Alexander Gumby's "Collection of Negroiana" [c1800]-1981
- Carnegie Collections
(Includes papers related to studies of poverty in South Africa and education in Sub-Saharan Africa)
- Côte d'Ivoire : Archives coloniales d'Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire -- Série EE: Affaires politiques (Vincent Hiribarren, King's College, London et Jean-Pierre Bat, Archives nationales de France, Paris)
"Ce site est dédié aux archives coloniales de Côte d’Ivoire conservées à Abidjan aux Archives nationales de Côte d’Ivoire. Il est plus spécifiquement consacré à la série EE, c’est-à-dire au service des Affaires politiques du gouvernement colonial de Côte d’Ivoire."
- Défap, Service Protestant de Mission, Bibliothèque d'histoire de la mission et de missiologie:
Guides pour les archives manuscrites et imprimées -et- Archives iconographiques: Cameroun, Gabon, Lesotho, Madagascar, et Zambèze. Anciennement Société des missions évangéliques de Paris, 1822-1971. (Paris, France)
--Catalogue en ligne
- France : Archives nationales
- France. Guide de bibliothèques à Paris et en régions dont les fonds présentent un intérêt pour la recherche sur l'Afrique (mai 2009) Ressources documentaires ; 2. -- Paris: Centre d'études africaines, L'Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, 2009. 29 pages en format PDF
- French, Tom. The SCOLMA directory of libraries and special collections on Africa in the United Kingdom and Western Europe. 5th ed. (London; New York: Hans Zell, 1993).
- La Gazette des archives (1976 to present). Annual. (Paris: Association amicale professionnelle des archivistes français, 1933-).
- Germany. Reichskolonialamt. Reichskolonialamt. R 1001 Microfilm Collection at The Center for Research Libraries, Chicago, Illinois. (Koblenz, Germany: Bundesarchiv, 1996-) 862 reels, with online introduction in English.
- See the 3-volume finding aid from Das Bundesarchiv, Butler Reference: JV2018 .H65 2003g
- Online Finding Aid (German) --via The Center for Research Libraries.
- Great Britain. Colonial Office. West African sources in British Colonial Office records. (London: Commonwealth Archivists Association, 1987)
- The HistoryMakers (Chicago, IL : HistoryMakers, 199--)
"An oral history video archive...dedicated to preserving African American history, education, music, law, the arts, science, technology, media, medicine, entertainment, fashion&beauty, business, the military, politics and sports..."
Search "Africa" -or- [name of African country] in Title
- Instituto Português de Arquivos. Guia de fontes portuguesas para a história de Africa. 3 vols. (Lisboa, Portugal: Comissão Nacional para as Comemorações dos Descobrimentos Portugueses: Fundação Oreinte: Imprensa Nacional-Casa de Moeda, 1991-92).
- Jones, Adam. German sources for West African history, 1599-1669. (Wiesbaden: Steiner, 1983).
- Kenya National Archives & Documentation Service (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Kenya National Archives Microfilm Collection at Syracuse University Library -- Guides
(Syracuse, New York)
The list of document titles and microfilm reel numbers; plus visitor information. "Includes 157 microfilm reels...and a large number of newspapers, journals, and papers of assorted associations also on microfilm."
See also: A guide to Coast Province -and- A guide to Nyanza Province.
- Norman Miller Archive (Norwich, Vermont; East Lansing, Michigan; Washington, DC)
- Legal records in the Commonwealth. (Aldershot, UK; Brookfield, VT: E. Elgar, 1994)
Check PEGASUS, the Law Library's catalog for more information.
- Missionary archives from Lesotho, 1832-2006 (Leiden, The Netherlands; Boston, MA: Brill Online Primary Sources, 2015)
The digitized archives of the Morija Museum Lesotho and other documents: "...contains both the ethnographic and historical archives of the first missionary in Lesotho, D.F. Ellenberger, as well as the complete run of the bi-weekly magazine, the Leselinyana, from 1863 till 2006."
- The Library of Congress: "The State of Arabic Manuscript Collections in Nigeria" (2007) Report of a Survey Tour to Northern Nigeria, March 3-19, 2007. (Dr. Angel Batiste, Area Specialist, Sub-Saharan Africa; Washington, DC)
- Martinique : Archives départementales de la Martinique (Fort-de-France, Martinique)
- McIlwaine, John. Writings on African archives. (London; New Jersey: Hans Zell, 1996).
- Mundus: gateway to missionary collections in the United Kingdom (Archive Staff, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK)
- Nigeria : Guide to National Archives of Nigeria (Dr. Simon Heap, The Britain-Nigeria Educational Trust Commonwealth Fellow, c/o History Department, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria , via Archives Wiki, American Historical Association, USA)
- Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture: Manuscripts, Archives, and Rare Books Division
The New York Public Library (New York)
- Archives nationales du Sénégal-- Official Website (Dakar)
- Fonds du Tribunal musulman de Saint-Louis [Senegal, 1850-1959] Microfilm ; "Série M, sous-série 07M."
(Dakar : Direction des Archives du Sénégal, Service informatique et des appuis techniques, Division de la Conservation preventive, de la micrographie e de l'audiovisuel, Atelier de micrographie, reprographie et audiovisuel ; [Chicago, Ill.] : [Microfilmed for Cooperative Africana Microfilming Project] The Center for Research Libraries [by] OCLC Preservation Service Center, Bethlehem, Pa., 2008) 22 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.
- Université Cheikh Anta Diop: Bibliothèque numérique (Dakar)
- South, Aloha. Guide to Federal archives relating to Africa. (Waltham, MA: African Studies Association, 1977).
- South, Aloha. Guide to non-Federal archives and manuscripts in the United States relating to Africa. 2 vols. (London; New York: Hans Zell, 1989).
See also: 2nd copy
- South Africa
- Swahili Manuscripts Project SOAS Digital Collections, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK
A digitized selection from the SOAS archives. "The collection includes about 450 manuscripts dating from 1790 to the late 20th century. The SOAS manuscripts originate from the Swahili coast and island archipelagos, in particular from Kilwa, Lamu, Mombasa, Pate, Siu and Zanzibar. The earliest manuscripts were collected in 19th century Mombasa by the scholar and member of the Church Missionary Society William Taylor and subsequently by scholars, editors and academics (including JWT Allen, William Hitchen, Jan Knappert, Alice Werner, Wilfred Whiteley, and Sheikh Yahya Ali Omar). SOAS Library acquired its first Swahili manuscript in 1920 and has continued to acquire manuscripts whenever possible since."
- See also: Swahili manuscripts from the School of Oriental and African Studies. Microfilm. 45 reels ; 35 mm. (Marlborough, Wiltshire, England: Adam Matthew Publications, 2004-2005).
Pt. 1. The Taylor, Hichens and Werner collections. pt. 2. The Knappert, Whiteley, Allen, Misc. and Yahya Ali Omar collections. [Manuscripts dating from the 1790s to the 1970s.]
- Uganda : Archives of The Church of Uganda Online (Leiden, The Netherlands ; Boston, MA : Brill, 2013-)
The records of the Church of the Province of Uganda, including some of the first written documents about and originating from Uganda. Contents of the collection include legal and administrative documents, correspondence, publications, personal records and more from the Offices of the Archbishops and Bishops of Uganda, the Education Secretary General, the General, Financial, and Provincial Secretaries, the Provincial Treasurer, and the Mother's Union.
- United Kingdom
- University of Cambridge : African Studies Library, Archives and Special Collections (Cambridge, UK)
The archival collections on Africa at Cambridge include selected issues of the Church Missionary Intelligencer, Donald Anthony Low Papers (esp. Uganda), Mary Margaret Louise Pirouet Papers (esp. Uganda), Audrey Richards Papers (East and Southern Africa), and Eridadi M.K. Mulira Papers (Uganda). This web site offers finding aids for each of these and links to other Cambridge collections discoverable through the university library's catalog.
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign: Charles C. Stewart Papers,1800 - ca. 1910, 1946-53, 1988
"Mauritanian Arabic manuscripts collection of Islamic and sub-Saharan African research material on 104 microfilm reels and including 2,054 works from the libraries of Harun b. Baba b. Sidi Muhammad b. Sidiyya al-Ntishai'i, Ismail b. Baba, and Ya'qub b Muhammad b. Baba. These Arabic language manuscripts and printed documents, primarily from the 19th century, concern literature, law, Islamic religious texts and commentaries, Arabic language, and history. This series also includes a 4 volume catalogue and index (1990) for the Mauritanian manuscripts, color negatives of selected manuscripts, and computer disks containing data from which the catalogue was prepared."
--See also, below: West African Arabic Manuscript Project & Database
- University of Zambia Research Repository Online (Lusaka, Zambia)
A digital archive of knowledge production at the university, including conference papers, technical reports, and theses and dissertations.
- Vanderbilt University: Television News Archive (Nashville, Tennessee, USA)
"Searchable archive of abstracts of news broadcasts from 1968 to present (ABC, CBS, NBC), 1995 to present (CNN), selected content from PBS and FOX News. Video content from CNN viewable with RealOne media player. Descriptive summaries of the Vanderbilt University collection of network television news programs and other news-related programming collected in its archive since August 5, 1968. Loan copies of videotapes in 3/4 inch U-matic & 1/2 inch VHS. format are available for a fee from the Archive."
- West African Arabic Manuscript Project & Database (Prof. Charles C. Stewart and Bruce Stewart Hall, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois)
A catalog of West African Arabic manuscript collections from Kano--Nigeria at Northwestern University (Evanston, Illinois), from Ségou (Mali) at La Bibliothèque nationale de France (Paris), in Boutilimit and Nouakchott--Mauritania, Timbuctu--Mali, and Niamey--Niger. The database is searchable in English or in Arabic.
- World directory of map collections. Compiled and edited by Olivier Loiseaux ; on behalf of the Section of Geography and Map Libraries. 4th ed. (Munich; New York: K.G. Sauer, 2000).
See also: E-book.
- World survey of Islamic manuscripts. 5 vols. Edited by Geoffrey Roper. (London: Al Furqar Islamic Heritage Foundation; Leiden: E.J. Brill, distributor, 1991-1994).