General Tips on Searching in CLIO for Books and Book Chapters
- Basic Search Tools for CLIO and Other Databases
- Reference works or statistical publications -- in print or electronic
- Combine name of city, country, language or ethnic group as “Subject” -AND- another term as a “Subject”….such as:
bibliography | handbooks | statistics | atlas -or- maps
biography | congresses (for conferences) | dictionaries | grammar
- Historical sources—published
- Combine history with name of country ... with "Subject" keywords such as:
“description and travel” | “personal narratives” | sources
- Colonial government publications in print
Search by title or title keywords of document [if known]; otherwise use
name of the colonial territory ...with Great Britain, France, etc.
as “Author” or “All Fields”
- Literary works
- Combine as "All Fields" name of city -or- name of country
...with "Fiction" -or- "Poetry" -or- "Drama" -or- "Criticism"
- Art exhibitions, Illustrations, and photographs [in publication]
- For art exhibitions, combine name of city -or- name of country ...with "Exhibitions"
- Combine name of city -or- name of country ... with "Pictorial works"
- Search in CLIO--Catalog by title of film [if known]; otherwise, use
name of country
...then, select "Video" Format, on left hand side of the display.
- Combine name of country
...with "Documentary films" -or- "Feature films"
- Autobiographies and memoirs
- Historical newspapers
- Unpublished government records & published government reports
- Ethnographic surveys & case studies
- Travellers’ accounts & descriptions
- International organization & national NGO reports based on field investigations
- RECOMMENDATION: Routinely search & read articles in the back issues of two journals: