For general information about Columbia's online resources and services, click here.
Temporary Online Access to Columbia Print Collections (update as of 04/03)
HathiTrust, a not-for-profit collaborative of academic and research libraries, announced an Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS), which will allow students, faculty, and staff from eligible member libraries (including Columbia University) to have online reading access to materials that are currently unavailable to them in their library collections.
Because of this service, 40% of Columbia’s print holdings are now temporarily available in digital format.
See this blog post for more information on how to find and access these materials.
Searching for electronic books in CLIO
CLIO is the online catalog for the Columbia, Barnard and Union Theological Seminary libraries. (Read more about CLIO here). Doing a Quicksearch across all of CLIO will search:
Books, journals, U.S. government information, online resources, videos, and more
Journal articles, e-books, dissertations, and more
- Academic Commons
Digital repository of Columbia research
- Libraries Website
Information about the libraries from the Libraries Website
Columbia's catalog of geospatial data sets
- To quickly search just for books, try searching in only the catalog section, as shown in the image below.
- If you don't find results right away, try to use different keywords related to your topic. If you find a book that looks helpful, take note of the subject headings in the record, as shown in the image below. Clicking on these will take you to other books with the same subject heading.
- Narrowing your search to ebooks
- From your search results in CLIO, use the links on the left in the Format menu to narrow to Online sources.
- Ebooks in your search results will have the ebook icon as shown below.
- Once inside the CLIO record, use the link on the right hand side of the page to access the book.