- Africa : an encyclopedia of culture and society. 3 vols. Edited by Toyin Falola and Daniel Jean-Jacques. (Santa Barbara, California : ABC-CLIO, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2016)
See also: E-book
- Africa contemporary record. Annual. (London: Africana Publishing, 1968/69-2002)
- Africa south of the Sahara. Annual. (London: Europa, 1971-)
- African biographical archive. 457 microfiches. Comp. by Victor Herrero Mediavilla. (Munchen: K.G. Saur Verlag, [1995-1999])
- African biographical index. 3v. Comp. by Victor Herrero Mediavilla. (Munchen: K.G. Saur, 1999) Index to: African biographical archive: entries include dates, descriptive keywords, & source references.
--or-- Search the online version of the index (Part of "World Biographical Information System")
- An African biographical dictionary. 2nd ed. Compiled by Norbert C. Brockman. (New York: Grey House Pub., c2006) (667 p.)
- African Biography on the Internet. (Compiled by Columbia University Libraries.)
- African folklore: an encyclopedia. Edited by Philip M. Peek and Kwesi Yankah. New York : Routledge, 2004. (593 p.)
- Africana: the encyclopedia of the African and African-American experience. 5 vols. Edited by Kwame Anthony Appiah and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Oxford, UK; New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Alpern, Stanley B. Guide to original sources for precolonial western Africa : an updated and expanded supplement to Fage (1994). [Madison] : African Studies Program, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2006.
- Area Handbook series. Prepared by the Library of Congress and sponsored by the US Dept. of the Army. (Washington)
- Armes, Roy. Dictionary of African filmmakers. (Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, c2008)
- Black leaders in southern African history. Ed. by Christopher Saunders. (London: Heinemann, 1979) [Pre-20th century leaders, except for one.]
- Brockman, Norbert C. An African biographical dictionary. 2nd ed. (New York: Grey House, c2006)
- A companion to modern African art. Ed. by Gitti Salami and Monica Blackmun Visonà. (Chichester, West Sussex, UK ; Malden, MA : Wiley Blackwell, 2013)
See also: E-book
- Dictionary of African biography. 6 vols. Emmanuel K. Akyeampong and Henry Louis Gates, Jr., editors in chief. (Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, c2012)
- Electronic journal of Africana bibliography. -- Iowa City, Iowa: University of Iowa Libraries, 1996-.
- Encyclopaedia Aethiopica. 5 vols. Edited by Siegbert Uhlig ; editorial board: Baye Yimam ... [et al.].
Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 2003-2014.
- Encyclopedia of African history. 3 v. Ed. by Kevin Shillington. (New York : Fitzroy Dearborn, 2005)
- Encyclopedia of Islam. -- Leiden, The Netherlands: E. J. Brill, 2004- Requires a special font.
- Encyclopedia of the Middle Passage. Edited by Toyin Falola and Amanda Warnock. (Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2007)
- Ethnologue. Country Index: Languages of Africa -- Dallas, Texas: SIL International, 1999-
- Europa world plus. -- New York, NY : Routledge ; Taylor & Francis Group, 2007-
Select "Africa South of the Sahara" or "Middle East and North Africa"
- The Garland encyclopedia of world music. -- Alexandria, Virginia: Alexander Street Press.
- Gerdes, Paulus and Ahmed Djebbar. Mathematics in African history and cultures : an annotated bibliography. 2nd ed. Cape Town, South Africa : Lulu, 2007.
- Historical Dictionary series. Scarecrow Press (Metuchen, NJ ; Lanham, MD)
Most recent editions are in Lehman Library Reference, near "Global Studies". For a dictionary of one country, search in CLIO, with "All fields" in "Advanced Search", and use [current name of country] and "historical dictionary".
- "Islam in Sub-Saharan Africa" web dossier (May 2005) -- Leiden, The Netherlands: African Studies Centre and Leiden University Library, Documentation and Information Department, 2005.
- Kagan, Alfred and Yvette Scheven. Reference guide to Africa: a bibliography of sources. 2nd ed. (Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2005)
- The Khoe and San : an annotated bibliography. 2 vols. [Compiled by] Shelagh Willet ... [et al.]. Gaborone, Botswana : Lightbooks, 2002-
- McIlwaine, John. Africa: a guide to reference material. 2nd rev. and expanded ed. (Lochcarron, Scotland : Hans Zell, 2007)
- The Middle East and North Africa. Annual. (London: Europa, 1995-)
- New dictionary of South African biography. Edited by E.J. Verwey. 2 vols. Pretoria: HSRC Publishers; Johannesburg: Thorold’s Africana Books [distributor], c1995-
- New encyclopedia of Africa, 5 v. Editor in chief, John Middleton; editor, Joseph C. Miller. Detroit: Thomson/Gale, c2008.
- Oxford African American Studies Center. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008-
Content includes: Africana (5 volumes); Encyclopedia of African American history; Black women in America--2nd edition; and, the African American national biography.
- The Oxford encyclopedia of African thought. Editors in chief, F. Abiola Irele and Biodun Jeyifo. 2 vols. New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- A political and economic dictionary of Africa. Compiled by David Seddon, with Daniel Seddon-Daines. (London: Routledge, 2005)
- Rake, Alan. 100 great Africans. (Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1994)
- Schmidt, Nancy. Sub-Saharan African films and filmmakers, 1987-1992: an annotated bibliography. (London; New Jersey: Hans Zell, 1994)
- Schmidt, Nancy. Sub-Saharan African films and filmmakers: an annotated bibliography. (London: Hans Zell, 1988)
- Schrijver, Paul. Islam in contemporary Sub-Saharan Africa. (Leiden, The Netherlands: Afrikastudiecentrum = African Studies Centre, University of Leiden, 2006) --via AfricaBib.Org
- Stanley, Janet L. (comp.) Modern African art: a basic reading list. (Washington, DC: National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution Libraries, 2016)
- Sweetman, David. Women leaders in African history. (London : Heinemann, 1984)
- West Africa over 75 years: selections from the raw material of history. Kole Omotoso et al., researchers; Kaye Whiteman, editor. (London: West Africa, 1993)
- Westley, David. The Mfecane: an annotated bibliography. (Madison: African Studies Program, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1999)
- World Bibliographical Series. Published by Clio Press in Oxford, England and Santa Barbara, CA: 1979-1999.
For a country bibliography, search in CLIO and use [name of country] and "world bibliographical".
- Yakan, Mohamad Z. Almanac of African peoples & nations. (New Brunswick, NJ : Transaction, c1999)
Africa bibliography. Annual. (Manchester, England ; Dover, N.H. : Manchester University Press, 1984-)
Africa-Wide Information via EBSCO (Baltimore, Maryland: National Information Services Corporation, 1997--
African Studies Abstracts (ASA) Online. (The Netherlands: African Studies Centre, Leiden University)
African Women Bibliographic Database (AfricaBib.Org, Davis Bullwinkle, University of Arkansas, Little Rock)
AnthropologyPlus. (Dublin, Ohio: OCLC).
Current bibliography on African affairs. Quarterly. (Amityville, NY: Baywood, 1962-)
Francis: International Humanities and Social Studies Online Index. Monthly. -- Paris : CNRS ; USA : RLG Eureka, 1984-.
Historical Abstracts. Monthly. (Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 1982--)
International African bibliography, 2001 to present. Quarterly. Published for the International African Institute, School of Oriental & African Studies, University of London. (London: Mansell, 1971-)
See also print edition, 1971-2008: Z3501 .I54
MLA Bibliography. 10 times per year. (New York : Modern Language Association of America, 1963-)
PAIS International. Monthly. (New York: Public Access Information Service, 1972-)
WEB-BALL: Web Bibliography of African Languages and Linguistics par J.F. Maho et alli. (Villejuif, France)
African Languages at Columbia