General Reference, Atlases & Maps, Indexes, Reviews, Catalogs, & Citation Management
This guide provides an overview of the most important research tools available at Columbia and on the Internet in support of the Spring 2018 course on "Histories of Poverty in Africa."
- Africa contemporary record. Annual. (London: Africana Publishing, 1968/69-2002)
- Africa south of the Sahara. Annual. (London: Europa, 1971-)
- African folklore: an encyclopedia. Edited by Philip M. Peek and Kwesi Yankah. New York : Routledge, 2004. (593 p.)
- Africana: the encyclopedia of the African and African-American experience. 5 vols. Edited by Kwame Anthony Appiah and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. Oxford, UK; New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Area Handbook series. Prepared by the Library of Congress and sponsored by the US Dept. of the Army. (Washington)
- Encyclopedia of African history. 3 v. Ed. by Kevin Shillington. (New York : Fitzroy Dearborn, 2005)
- Encyclopedia of Islam. -- Leiden, The Netherlands: E. J. Brill, 2004- Requires a special font.
- Encyclopedia of the Middle Passage. Edited by Toyin Falola and Amanda Warnock. (Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2007)
- Ethnologue. Country Index: Languages of Africa -- Dallas, Texas: SIL International, 1999-
- Europa world plus. -- New York, NY : Routledge ; Taylor & Francis Group, 2007-
Select "Africa South of the Sahara" or "Middle East and North Africa"
- Handbook of Political Science research on Sub-Saharan Africa: trends from the 1960s to the 1990s. (New York: Greenwood Press, 1992)
- Handbook of political science research on the Middle East and North Africa. Ed. by Bernard Reich. (Westport, CT : Greenwood Press, 1998)
- Historical Dictionary series. Scarecrow Press (Metuchen, NJ ; Lanham, MD)
Most recent editions are in Lehman Library Reference, near "Global Studies". For a dictionary of one country, search in CLIO, with "All fields" in "Advanced Search", and use [current name of country] and "historical dictionary".
- Kagan, Alfred and Yvette Scheven. Reference guide to Africa: a bibliography of sources. 2nd ed. (Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2005)
- McIlwaine, John. Africa: a guide to reference material. 2nd rev. and expanded ed. (Lochcarron, Scotland : Hans Zell, 2007)
- The Middle East and North Africa. Annual. (London: Europa, 1995-)
- New encyclopedia of Africa, 5 v. Editor in chief, John Middleton; editor, Joseph C. Miller. Detroit: Thomson/Gale, c2008.
- The Oxford encyclopedia of African thought. Editors in chief, F. Abiola Irele and Biodun Jeyifo. 2 vols. New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
- The population of southern Africa: an annotated bibliography 1980-1997. 2 vols. [Dakar, Senegal]: Union for African Population Studies, 1998.
- West Africa over 75 years: selections from the raw material of history. Kole Omotoso et al., researchers; Kaye Whiteman, editor. (London: West Africa, 1993)
- World Bibliographical Series. Published by Clio Press in Oxford, England and Santa Barbara, CA: 1979-1999.
For a country bibliography, search in CLIO and use [name of country] and "world bibliographical".
Atlases & Maps
- Africa: atlas of our changing environment. (Nairobi, Kenya: United Nations Environment Program, 2008).
- Atlas du continent africain. (Paris: Jeune Afrique & Les Editions du Jaguar, 1993).
- Christopher, A.J.. The atlas of apartheid. (New York: Routledge, 1994).
- Christopher, A.J. The atlas of changing South Africa. 2nd ed. (London ; New York : Routledge, c2001)
See also: E-book
- Columbia University. Geospatial Data Repository (New York)
Search for all "scanned maps" in the beta version.
Select Advanced Search and "data type"
***Note: some maps can only be viewed on site in the Digital Social Science Center.
- Columbia University. Lehman Social Sciences Library Map Room, 2nd Floor,
See especially recent maps:
Botswana, Lesotho, Ghana, Madagascar, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, & Zimbabwe.
- Freeman-Grenville, G.S.P. The new atlas of African history. (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1991).
- Griffiths, I.L. An atlas of African affairs. 2nd ed. (New York: Routledge, 1994)
See also: Lehman Reference copy.
- Historical atlas of Africa. Ed. by J.F. Ade Ajayi et al. (New York: Cambridge University Press, 1985).
See also: Butler Reference copy
- Kwamena-Poh, Michael et al. African history in maps. (London; New York: Longman, 1982).
- Mapping Specialists, Inc. Africa on file. 2 vols. (New York: Facts on File, 1995).
- Maps of Africa from The Perry Castañeda Library, University of Texas at Austin
- Maps of Africa on the Internet. (Columbia University Libraries)
- Pourtier, Roland. Atlas de la Zone Franc en Afrique subsaharienne: monnaie, économie, société. (Paris: Documentation française, 1995).
Africa-Wide Information via EBSCO (Baltimore, Maryland: National Information Services Corporation, 1997--
African Women Bibliographic Database (AfricaBib.Org, Davis Bullwinkle, University of Arkansas, Little Rock)
AnthropologyPlus. (Dublin, Ohio: OCLC).
Historical Abstracts. Monthly. (Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 1982--)
PAIS International. Monthly. (New York: Public Access Information Service, 1972-)
PubMed (Bethesda, MD: National Center for Biotechnology Information)
World Health Organization Library: African Index Medicus
WHOLIS -- World Health Organization Library Database (Geneva, Switzerland)
- African index medicus. Quarterly. (Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo: Library & Documentation Centre, WHO Regional Office for Africa, 1993-95) -- Check HEALTH SCIENCES Reference.
Africa review of books. -- Dakar, Senegal: CODESRIA, 2004-
Book review digest plus. (H.W. Wilson Co., USA; via FirstSearch).
H-Net Reviews. (East Lansing, Michigan: H-Net, Humanities & Social Sciences OnLine, Michigan State University, 1995--).
An archive of reviews of Africana books, electronic resources, exhibitions, and films.
Select from "lists": H-Africa, H-AfrArts, H-AfrLitCine, H-Luso-Africa, H-SAfrica, H-West-Africa, and others.
International Bibliography of Book Reviews. Monthly. (Published by K.G. Saur Verlag, Thomson Corporation, 1985 -).
Janz, Bruce B., "African Philosophy Resources: Selected Online Book Reviews." African Philosophy Resources. (via University of Central Florida, Orlando).
--Use "Advanced Search" and select "Reviews" and "African Studies"
CU Library Home Pages & Other Resources